Meeting point between Boots (no 27) and Cafeteria Ritazza (no 28) - both of which can be seen on the map here of our meeting point:
- Hike one of the most spectacular coastal hikes in England
- A great physical challenge with several easy options to shorten if needed
- Enjoy amazing views over the coastline for much of this hike
- Finish in Eastbourne - England's sunniest town
- Explore the Seven Sisters National Park - the newest in the UK
Photos - All photos were taken by the hike leader on previous trips so are the actual views that you will see from the route that you'll be hiking.
Hike DescriptionThere are some iconic views on this hike and we'll get some great fresh sea air high up on the cliffs. The Seven Sisters are a series of white chalk cliffs and are set within the Seven Sisters Country Park. They are remnants of dry valleys in the South Downs and were formed at the end of the last ice age by glacial meltwater. There are in fact now eight sisters as an extra one has been created by coastal erosion.
Our hike starts in the coastal town of Seaford which is home to a Martello Tower from 1810 which formed part of a string of 74 towers to defend against French invasion in Napoleonic times. It then follows the cliffs along the South Downs way past Birling Gap and the Belle Tout lighthouse. The lighthouse was actually moved 17 metres in 1999 to stop it falling victim to coastal erosion. Our hike shall then take us on to the beauty spot of Beachy Head which has a more sinister side, before we head from here to Eastbourne for some refreshments in a delightful pub.
FoodWe will stop during the hike for a snack lunch so please bring food and drink. We will visit a pub after the hike where we can get refreshments.
CostThe trip is £28 per person which includes the guided hike and return train travel from the group departure station listed at the top of this event.
All events are limited to twenty-five person for a better quality of service and have a comfortable group.
What to Bring
- Suitable hiking clothes & hiking footwear (ideally hiking boots) >click here<. Waterproof jacket, trousers and footwear are recommended
- Water (at least 1 and ideally 2 litres)
- Packed lunch/picnic
- Money for drinks and refreshments after the hike
- That's it! We will take care of train tickets, logistics on the day etc, so that you can just turn up and have a great day :-)
Cliffs - dangerThere are sheer drops off the cliffs and some of these soft chalk cliffs are crumbling at the edges with chunks regularly falling and no fencing in place. Please keep at least 3 metres away from the edges. If you fall, or the ground at the edge of the cliff collapses it will almost certainly be fatal.
- Members: £ 26
- No Members: £ 33
IMPORTANT NOTE: To reserve a place you must make the full payment, otherwise the reservation will not be accepted.
Hiking in London Barclays Bank (New bank details) Ref: 1108 + your Name 20-41-50 33752607
Do not forget to click Going! and send a copy of the payment with the full name and contact telephone number of the attendees. You can send this data through our Facebook, by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by whatsapp 07535295739.
- Maria: 07535 295 739 Whatsapp