At mainland Europe’s western edge lies one of its lesser-known gems—a land of wild coasts, terraced vineyards, and historic cities whose cobbled streets tell a multitude of stories. Experience the beauty of Portugal as you trace the beaches and cliffs that hug the Atlantic shore, and trek through the verdant forests of Serra da Estrela Natural Park. Hike and kayak in the acclaimed Douro Valley wine region; explore charming villages; and round off your journey with a stirring performance of fado, the soul of Portuguese music.
- Day 1: Lisbon, Portugal
- Day 2: Cabo Da Roca/Sintra
- Day 3: Sintra-Cascais Natural Park
- Day 4: Serra Da LousÃ/Serra Da Estrela Natural Park
- Day 5: Serra Da Estrela Natural Park
- Day 6: Douro Valley
- Day 7: Pinhão/Douro River
- Day 8: Favaios/Porto
- Day 9: Porto
See More »
WHAT TO EXPECT
This trip has an activity rating of moderate; travelers should be prepared for multiple hours of activity each day. Hikes range from 3 to 6 hours (4 to 6 miles) mostly on level trails but with some steeper grades. Vehicle support is provided at various points along the way. Our kayaking excursion is suitable for beginner and expert kayakers alike. We will paddle stable, two-person kayaks for up to 4 hours (7 to 8 miles).
We stay in ideally located, well-appointed Hostel with many amenities.
One or two seasoned adventure guides will lead this trip, often accompanied by local guides.
- Transfers upon arrival and departure
- Accommodation as indicated in the itinerary
- Daily activities and excursions as indicated in the itinerary
- Gratuities (with the exception of lead adventure guides)
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Airfare to and from destination, as well as internal airfare where applicable
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Trip cancellation insurance or any other travel insurance
- Alcoholic beverages
- Gratuities for lead adventure guides